It’s very easy to be a data visualization expert. All you have to do is to look at current practices in a corporate environment and define “best practices” as exactly the opposite.
In case the irony escapes you: data visualization skills in a corporate environment are usually low and charts and presentations are driven by the need to impress the manager. This reinforces the idea that charts can be pretty but have no serious place in the decision-making process.
- Better Charts for Business: When Business Doesn’t Care
- Can Edward Tufte Do Business Charts?
- The Fish and The Fishing Rod: Core Skills for the Data Visualization Worker
- Sub-Prime Charts: Should Data Visualization Be Boring?
- The Inner Beauty of Business Charts
- Are charts really useful for decision-making?
- Data Visualization Personas
- Better Graphs, Faster Typing: Try Them Today
And iIf you are discussing charts in business, you can’t avoid talking about Excel:
- Animation, Interaction and Dynamic Excel Charts
- Are Excel Charts Hurting Your Business? 10 Mistakes You Should Avoid.
- Excel chart gallery: a difficult equilibrium
- Learn Excel, Spend More Time with the Kids
- Can Too Much Excel Harm your Career?
- Excel Charts: If It Isn’t Broken…
- Shocking Revelation: Excel 2007 is Useless
- Poll: Do you use VBA in your Excel files?